Smart Move

https://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-note-10-kills-headphone-jack-for-galaxy-buds-2019-8

Dave Smith, at BI, thinks removing the headphone jack from the Note 10 was a smart business move. After all, Samsung makes no additional money is I use my Skull Candy headphones. They want to sell me some Galaxy Buds.

Setting aside that I have buds and I hate them (not Galaxy ones) my main headphones are all wired with the sole exception of my workout headphones, and those are Bose Soundsports. Even is I were going to put up with this Jackmail, I would not buy Samsung headphones. I would not reward their anti-customer behavior that way. Assume for a moment I can never buy another phone that does not have the headphone jack removed. That means I have to carry a dongle that lets me use wired headphones. Not that I will buy their product.

But for the foreseeable future, Note 9 in hand, I am not even buying their phone. Their smart business decision means I am not buying ANYTHING from them, and when it does come time to buy something, they opened up the field to other vendors. I left Apple because of this kind of garbage, and I can leave Samsung just as easily. I have no idea how many others are going to take a walk over this: maybe not enough. Maybe the business math is 'yeah, we lost CJ, but we sold 15% more Galaxy buds so who cares?'

The same thinking that goes into store closures. We aren't making ENOUGH money. Not in the red, just not in the black enough.

I see all the Apple earpods running around, and I know Samsung wants in on that. They are not getting it from me. The Note 10+ has the best camera out there right now, and the best screen out there right now (according to two reviews I read yesterday) but as much as I want those things, I want to use my Skull Candy's more.

We'll see what the market does next, but surely there is someone out there that wants my business enough to source a headphone jack. I'll even go back to LG: I just had lunch with a man whose mid-tier LG from four years ago is still going strong. My LG woes may have been buying the top end stuff. Also, my Mom still has her Note 3, humming along. Slowly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Six rolling out on Wattpad

Finished Jessica Jones S3. Wah!

Android Auto